About Me

My photo
Cheshire, United Kingdom
My daily goings on, reviews, rants etc!

Sunday 16 May 2010

#10: Muse Live @ Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

This was a while back now (January 11th 2010) but better late than never ;) I have been a fan of Muse since around 2003, but this was my first time seeing them. Tickets were expensive, but the show was absolutely amazing and totally worth it!

It was also my first concert experience in Japan. It was held at a large all-purpose gymnasium within the secondary enclosure of Nagoya Castle. I was shocked that there was no bar there, and that although we were standing, it wasn't just one big free for all like it is in Britain. We were organised into what I can only describe as little 'pens' of about 15m squared with about 1m between each. I felt like livestock or something, it was... odd. The concert started precisely on time with no support bands, and the set list was at follows (via Setlist.fm)

Uprising
Map of the Problematique
Supermassive Black Hole
New Born
Interlude
Hysteria
Citizen Erased
MK Ultra
Nishe
United States Of Eurasia
Cave
Helsinki Jam
Undisclosed Desires
Resistance
Starlight
Time Is Running Out
Unnatural Selection
--------
Plug In Baby
Knights of Cydonia

During the concert the band didn't talk much but Matthew Bellamy looked super cool *fangirl*. For a lot of the songs, the lyrics to the chorus came up on the big screen, karaoke style. Very Japanese right? I loved this as I must admit I don't know most of the lyrics! The audience seemed to be most enthusiastic about the tracks off of The Resistance.

During the encore, several giant balloons were released from the top balcony. It did look pretty cool, but actually I have a phobia of balloons haha so I spent that entire period of time worrying that one was going to pop near me. They were bloody loud when they did though. The performance was immaculate and I wish I could go and watch it all over again, minus the balloons! Muse are playing in Manchester this September, so I just might be seeing them sooner than I think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment